"The Edible Schoolyard is more
than an upgrade of food in the cafeteria,
much more than a garden program in a school..."
- Alice Waters
"Silver Lei Award for Excellence in Filmmaking"
Honolulu Film Festival, Honolulu, Hawaii, 2010
"Award of Excellence: Feature Documentary"
Accolade Competition, San Diego, California, 2010
| "Nourishing the Kids follows the story of how renowned chef Alice Waters' "Edible Schoolyard" program from Berkeley - centered around the caring for children - is replicated and contributes to the rebirth of the New Orleans uptown poor black Green Charter School after its devastation from Hurricane Katrina floodwaters.|
The story is told from the unique perspective of filmmaker/producer, Robert Lee Grant, who is from the San Francisco Bay Area, but who experienced Hurricane Katrina firsthand while living in New Orleans for four years.
The film features Alice Waters (from Chez Panisse Restaurant), health professionals, educators, students. It concludes with comments by President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama about the development of the White House organic garden, issues of childhood obesity and health, and the importance of good nutrition.
The film is scored with the musical genius of Mozart's piano concertos woven with the earthy melodies of New Orleans musicians Lady BJ Crosby, Allen Toussaint and Walter "Wolfman" Washington.
“Best International Documentary”
London Independent Film Festival, London, England, 2010
“Best Documentary Short Film”
Charlotte Film Festival, Charlotte, North Carolina, 2010
"All schools can do something along the lines of the Edible Schoolyard to get kids to put their hands in dirt, learning lifelong lessons about good nutrition, science, and citizenship."
- Robert Lee Grant, filmmaker
Made available at a special price, Nourishing the Kids of Katrina is narrated by the filmmaker and it features:
- Alice Waters, Chef/Educator
- Michele Lawrence, PhD
- Carmen R. Nevarez, MD, MPH
- Health Professionals
- Citizen Stakeholders
Nourishing the Kids of Katrina concludes with comments by President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama about:
- The development of the White House organic garden
- Issues of childhood obesity and health,
- The importance of good nutrition.
Official Selection at Film Festivals:
- California Independent Film Festival (Orinda, CA)
- Da Vinci Days Film Festival (Corvallis, Oregon)
- Honolulu Film Awards (Honolulu, Hawaii)
* Award: Silver Lei Award for Excellence in Filmmaking
- Lake County Film Festival (Illinois)
- Texas Black Film Festival (Dallas, Texas)
- The Accolade Film Television, New Media & Videography Awards (San Diego, CA)
* Award: "Award of Excellence: Feature Documentary"
- Sonoma Environmental Film Festival & Sustainability Conference (Sonoma, CA)
- Garden State Film Festival (New Jersey)
- Atlanta Film Festival (Atlanta, Georgia)
- London Independent Film Festival (London, England)
* Award: "Best International Documentary
- On Locations: Memphis International Film Fest (Memphis, Tennessee)
- Seattle's True Independent Film Festival (Seattle, Washington)
- Las Vegas Film Festival (Las Vegas, NV)
- Cannes Independent Film Festival (Cannes, France)
- Gobians World & Culture Documentary Film Festival Berlin (Berlin, Germany)
- Charlotte Film Festival (Charlotte, North Carolina)
* Award: "Best Documentary Short Film"